Spay and Neuter for Dogs and Cats in Carmel, IN
At Yellow Dog Veterinary Clinic, dog and cat spay and neuter surgery is more than a routine procedure for Carmel pets. We’ll discuss the best time to spay and neuter according to the type and breed of pet you have. We’ll also talk about the incomparable benefits your loyal companion will receive as well as discuss the potential drawbacks. We strive for the best service possible at our animal hospital, and you’ll be sent home with your pet after surgery with the appropriate medications and detailed instructions.
Benefits of Cat and Dog Neuter and Spay
Some of the benefits your fur-baby receives from dog and cat spay and neuter surgery are some they can’t receive any other way. The chances of certain cancers and worrisome behavioral tendencies can be dramatically reduced, but some dog breeds may be better off getting “fixed” after they reach adulthood or not at all. It’s important to us that our clients are fully informed and educated and we’ll thoroughly discuss pet spay and neuter with you. Should you decide to spay and neuter your pet, some of the benefits include:
- Breast tumors are reduced in females, which are malignant in many cases.
- The chances of developing ovarian and uterine cancer are greatly reduced in females.
- The amount of unwanted litters is reduced, in turn reducing animal homelessness.
- Urine spraying and marking behavior is reduced in males and females.
- Roaming behavior is reduced in males and females, which lessens the risk of injury in males and females.
- Males eliminate their chances of developing testicular cancer.
- The chances of developing prostate issues are reduced in males.
Caring for Your Dog or Cat After Spay or Neuter Surgery
We’ll closely monitor your pet before, during and after surgery and we encourage you to give your fur-baby lots of TLC afterwards. We are very preemptive about pain management, but we’ll send you home with some medication afterwards. As your pet’s caretaker, you’ll want to keep some things in mind as they recover:
- Check their incision site daily and watch out for unusual swelling, redness or discharge.
- Keep your pet relaxed and try to limit running and jumping for two weeks.
- Distract your pet from licking or chewing on their incision or use a surgery collar.
- Refrain from giving your pet a bath for 10 days.
- Make sure they are comfortable and stress free.
Please call us at (317) 900-7723 or book an appointment online to talk to a vet about our dog and cat spay and neuter services in Carmel, IN! We’re here for pets and their humans.